This guide shows how to update Xperia Z1 to Android 5.0 Lollipop by installing CyanogenMod 12 Custom ROM
While the users of Xperia Z1 are waiting for the official release of Android 5.0 Lollipop as Sony has confirmed to update Xperia Z1 to Android 5.0, developers came with unofficial build of CyanogenMod 12 built on Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware and here in this tutorial we will guide you on how to update Xperia Z1 to Android 5.0 Lollipop using CM 12 ROM.
So if you are an Android power user then you might can’t wait for the official release of Android 5.0 Lollipop update, in this case you can taste the sweetness of Android 5.0 Lollipop with the help of Custom ROMs. As this is the unofficial build of CM 12 and it is still in experimental stage or alpha stage, it might contain some bugs. So don’t blame us about the issues you encounter after you install this ROM and proceed with the update process at your own risk.
Before you proceed to update Xperia Z1 to Android 5.0, we advise you to go through the whole procedure and follow the pre-requisites.
- Make sure your device is Xperia Z1 (aka Honami).
- Backup all of your data.
- Charge your device to at least 75%.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from Developer Options.
- Unlock Bootloader on Xperia Z1.
- Root and install Custom Recovery on Xperia Z1.
Once you are done with the above requisites, you can proceed to update Xperia Z1 to Android 5.0 Lollipop firmware.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible in any manner for any damage occurred to Xperia Z1. So understand the risk involved in installing CM 12 on Xperia Z1 and proceed at your own risk.
How to update Xperia Z1 to Android 5.0 Lollipop using CM 12 ROM:
- Download the ROM package and Google Apps Package from the above links.
- Copy both the packages to the Root of your SD card.
- Power off Xperia Z1.
- Boot into Recovery Mode by turning it on and as soon as you see the LED blinking press Volume up or Volume down button for couple of times.
- Once you are in Recovery Mode, wipe all the data, cache and dalvik cache.
- Select “Install Zip from SD card” and choose the CM 12 ROM package and install it.
- Follow the above step again and choose Google Apps Package and install it.
- Once installed, Go Back and select reboot system now and boot your device into normal mode.
After the device boots up you are ready to enjoy Android 5.0 Lollipop on Xperia Z1. Do let us know in the comment section if you have any queries relating to the above procedure.