Check here a quick guide on how to root Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 kitkat firmware and Install ClockworkMod Recovery
So you are here to learn how a Nexus 5 running on Android 4.4 Kitkat can be rooted, so after rooting it you can do many experiments on your Nexus 5 device. Before proceeding to Root Nexus 5 let’s have a look at what rooting mean in Android here, if you already know what rooting is then you can continue to Root Nexus 5.
Before Proceeding to Root Nexus 5 let’s also have a quick look at some of the pre-requisites to follow, so as to avoid bricking of your device.
- Make a backup of your data on your Nexus 5 to a safe location, so as to avoid any accidental data loss while rooting Nexus 5.
- Enable USB Debugging on Nexus 5 from Developer options.
- Make sure bootloader on your Nexus 5 in Unlocked, if not unlocked follow the procedure listed here.
- Charge your device to at least 75%, so as to avoid bricking of your device. It is highly recommended.
Assuming that you are done with all the above requisites, let’s now proceed to Root Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 Kitkat firmware.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible for any damage occurred to your device for not following the instructions properly. Also make a note that rooting voids warranty, so proceed at your own risk…
Procedure to Root Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 Kitkat firmware:
- First of all make sure you have installed Android SDK and USB drivers on your PC. Follow this link to setup Android SDK.
- Download UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip, don’t extract it.
- Now copy this UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip file on to your device’s SD card. Keep in mind not to copy inside any folder, just copy at the root of your SD card.
- Now download hammerhead-cwm-22.214.171.124-unofficial.img and paste it in Fastboot folder, which you created after following this link.
- Power off Nexus 5.
- Install USB drivers for your Nexus 5 from here to your PC.
- Connect it to your PC using original USB data cable.
- Now enter into Bootloader/Fastboot mode, by pressing Power + Volume Down buttons, until you see some text on the screen.
- Now in your PC navigate to Fastboot folder and open Command Prompt there. To do this, just navigate to Fastboot folder and press Shift key and press right click and now select Open command window here.
- Now in CMD type: fastboot flash recovery hammerhead-cwm-126.96.36.199-unofficial.img and press enter.
- Once completed choose Recovery from Fastboot menu.
- Now in CWM recovery choose “Install zip from SD card” and select the “UPDATE-SuperSU-v1.65.zip” and install it.
- After it is done with the installation, Go Back and select “reboot system now”.
That’s it now you have successfully done with Rooting Nexus 5 and Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery. Do let us know in the comment section if you have any issues while trying to Root Nexus 5.