AT&T Galaxy S4 has recently received the Android 4.4.2 Kitkat update and many of the users might have lost Root Access after updating your device to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Firmware. So if you want to acquire root access on your AT&T Galaxy S4 then you can follow the procedure below and Root AT&T Galaxy S4. Before proceeding to Root AT&T Galaxy S4, let’s have a look at what are the advantages and disadvantages of rooting here.
Let’s also have a look at some of the pre requisites to follow, to prepare your device for rooting process and to avoid bricking of your device.
- Make a complete backup of all of your data to a safe location, though rooting won’t erase your data; it is always good to have a backup.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from the Developer Options located in the Settings app.
- Charge your device to at least 75%, to avoid it from turning off in between the rooting process, as this may result in damage to your device.
- Make sure your device is on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware. If not go here.
- Backup your EFS Data, to avoid connectivity issues. Link.
- Bootloader must be unlocked.
- Download and install USB Drivers on PC. Download here.
Install CWM Recovery on AT&T Galaxy S4:
1. Download CWM Recovery package from here to your PC.
2. Also download Odin Software and Run as Administrator.
3. Power off AT&T Galaxy S4 and enter into Download Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home +Power Button simultaneously until you see AT&T Galaxy S4 Logo. Now Press Volume Up to enter into Download mode.
4. Connect your device to PC using original USB Cable.
5. In Odin you will notice some change below ID:COM, this means your device is successfully connected.
6. Now in Odin tap on AP or PDA and select the CWM Recovery file which you got after extracting and it should be in .md5 format.
7. Make sure only Auto Reboot option is ticked.
8. Now hit Start and wait for the flashing to finish. Once done it will reboot automatically.
Root AT&T Galaxy S4:
Download the SuperSU.zip file from here. Connect your device to PC and copy the SuperSU.zip file to root of your SD card. Power Off your device and enter into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home +Power Button simultaneously until you see AT&T Galaxy S4 Logo. In Recovery Select “Install zip from SD card” and choose SuperSU.zip file which you have copied earlier and install it. Once the installation is completed, Go Back and select Reboot system now, this will reboot your device in normal mode. After reboot check for SuperSU app in app drawer.
If you want to confirm whether your device is successfully rooted or not then you can use Root Checker App.