The owners of the Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 are not happy as the Samsung has not released any Android updates of Jelly Bean or Kitkat for their device. But now there is nothing to worry about as the Cyanogen Mod ROM makers has came up with a ROM based on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Firmware naming it as Cyanogen Mod 11. Though the Samsung is not looking towards their mid-range devices, Cyanogen Mod is looking towards them.
Before continuing to Update your device to latest Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Firmware using Cyanogen Mod 11 ROM, let’s have a quick look at some of the Pre-Requisites listed below.
- Make a backup of all of your data on your device to a safe location, so as to avoid any data loss, as we are installing Custom ROM which will erase all of your data. Make sure not to backup your data using Kies as it will not help you in restoring.
- Enable USB Debugging on your Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 from the path “Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging”.
- Charge your device to at least 75% before proceeding, to avoid bricking of your device.
- Make sure if your device is rooted, as we are going to install Custom ROM which requires rooting to install. If you haven’t rooted your device then go and root your device first.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible in any manner for any damage caused to your Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 while installing Custom ROM. Proceed at your own risk!!!!
How to Update Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 with Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Firmware:
1. Download Custom ROM based on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat Firmware Package and Google Apps Package to your PC.
2. Copy both the files into your device’s SD. Make sure to copy on the root of your SD card, but not inside any folder.
3. Download the ROM Manager App from the Play Store and install the Custom Recovery on your device. Now boot into recovery mode using the same ROM Manager app.
4. Alternatively you can also boot into Recovery Mode by turning off your device and Pressing “Volume Up + Home + Power Button” Simultaneously until you see Galaxy SL logo.
5. In Recovery Mode select Wipe data and perform operation, now select wipe cache and perform the operation again.
6. Now in Recovery Mode select “Install zip from SD card” and select and install the Custom ROM package which you have downloaded and copied on your SD card.
7. Now again select “Install zip from SD card” and select and install Google Apps Package which you have downloaded earlier.
8. After installing both the packages go back and select “reboot system now” and let your device reboot.
9. Make a note that Sometimes the first boot may take up to 5-6 minutes so please be patience.
10. After your Samsung Galaxy SL I9003 boots up go to “Settings > About Phone ” and have a look at the Android version, you will notice that it is Android 4.4.2 Kitkat.
Source : [XDA]