Xperia Tipo ST21i/ST21a runs on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich and from then Sony has not rolled out any Android update for this device. These devices are left on Android 4.0.4 from years even though Jelly Bean was rolled out to many device, these devices haven’t received JB update also. This is the reason all Xperia Tipo ST21i/ST21a users got disappointed. If you are one such user then don’t worry here we have brought a Custom ROM for your device which is based on Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware. This ROM is called Carbon KK ROM.
Carbon KK ROM is based on stock Android and it also carries many of its own features as well, like changing color of icons in status bar, customizing the home button long press to any shortcuts, change the permissions of the installed apps, enhanced security, and many more you can check the full list of features here.
Before we proceed to Update Xperia Tipo ST21i/ST21a to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat we must follow some set of instructions called pre requisites, to prepare Xperia Tipo ST21i/ST21a for the installation process and also to avoid from bricking during installation process.
- Make sure your device is Xperia Xperia Tipo ST21i/ST21a.
- Backup all of your data to a safe location, as we are going to install the Custom ROM which will erase all of the data on the device.
- Charge your device to at least 75%, to avoid it from shutting down in between the rooting process, if happened this may brick your device.
- Make sure USB Debugging is enabled on your device. Check in Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
- Download and install USB drivers suitable for your device from here.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC from here.
- Unlock Bootloader on your device from here.
- Backup TA partition. How? Follow here.
- Root Xperia Tipo ST21i/ST21a from here.
Procedure to Update Xperia Tipo ST21i/ST21a to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat using Carbon KK ROM:
- Download Carbon KK Android 4.4.2 ROM Package (Download the latest version with name ‘Tapioca’)from here to your PC.
- Download Google Apps Package from here to your PC.
Now check here for the Flashing Guide.