Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 SM-T330 was launched by Samsung in the early April last year. While many companies were launching Quad HD display tablets, Samsung turn over and came up with modest 800 x 1280 pixels resolutions device. The tablet was launched running Android 4.4.2 KitKat out of the box and still doesn’t seen any Lollipop update. Samsung only rolled out Android 5.0 update to its high-end tablets. It is very less likely to see Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 running on Lollipop official firmware.
But the users can experience the latest operating system by downloading Lollipop based ROM from XDA. So here we shared simple tutorial to install Android 5.1.1 Lollipop Unofficial CM 12.1 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Tab SM-T330. As the ROM is still in developer mode, you might face problems and bugs with its stability.
Note: This ROM is compatible with Galaxy Tab SM-T330 Wi-Fi only variant, do not install on LTE variant.
In order to get your device ready for Android 5.1.1 update, make sure to take complete backup of all the important data like contacts, files, SMS, apps, app data by using any third party backup app. Also perform NANDROID backup of your current ROM in order to restore it due to issues with the installed ROM.
Unlock the bootloader on your Samsung device. This process is not meant for locked bootloaders. So make sure the device bootloader is unlocked before installing the Custom ROM. Also install the latest version of custom recovery which may be either CWM, TWRP or Philz.
Charge you device to at least 60% or more to avoid unnecessary power-off of your device during the update process which might results in bricking of tablet.
At last enable USB Debugging options from Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging.
Now all the requirements to update your tab has been finished, now let’s start with the ROM installation process.
Download and Update Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0 SM-T330 to Android 5.1.1 Lollipop using Unofficial CM12.1 ROM:
1. Firstly Download Unofficial CM 12.1 Android 5.1.1 Lollipop ROM and Gapps Package for your Galaxy Tab 4 8.0. Now connect the device with PC and copy the downloaded files to root folder of device internal storage.
2. Now disconnect your tablet from PC and reboot your device into recovery mode.
3. In Recovery, first perform ‘wipe data factory reset’ and then go to advanced options and wipe the cache, dalvik cache, data and system partitions.
4. After done with wiping in recovery, thereafter go to main menu and select ‘Install ZIP from SD card’. Here select the Custom ROM file which earlier you have copied to root folder of device internal storage. Now continue to install the ROM on your tablet.
5. After flashing the custom ROM, follow the same procedure to flash Gapps zip on your device. Next reboot your tablet by selecting the option ‘reboot system now’ from recovery menu.
There you go! Now the device would be running on Android 5.1.1 Lollipop CM 12.1 custom ROM. If you face any issues with the ROM like bugs or any other reason and wanted to revert back to stock ROM, then do check the official ROM thread here.