Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 can now be updated to latest version of Android i.e., Android 4.4.2 Kitkat using custom ROM called Cyanogen Mod 11. Unfortunately Samsung has listed Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 in the list of devices that are above to get Android 4.4.2 Kitkat update, to check the list go here. This is why there is no way other than updating your device using Cyanogen Mod 11 Custom ROM.
Before proceeding to update your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware using Cyanogen Mod 11, let’s have a quick look at some of the pre-requisites below.
- Make a complete backup of all of your data including SMS, Contacts etc., make sure not to use Samsung Kies to backup your data as it will not help you in restoring your data.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from Developer Options.
- Make sure your device is charged to at least 75%, so as to avoid any damage to your device.
- Make sure your Tab is rooted, if not then go here and root your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 before proceeding.
- Make a Backup of your EFS Data to avoid any connectivity issues, using one of the methods from here. If you are not aware of what EFS is then go here.
Procedure to update Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 with Android 4.4.2 Kitkat firmware via Cyanogen Mod 11 ROM:
1. Download Cyanogen Mod 11 Custom ROM package and Google Apps Package to your PC. Once downloaded copy both the files to your device’s Sd card. Make sure not to copy inside any folder just copy the files to the root of your Sd card.
2. After Copying the files, disconnect your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 from PC and Power Off your device to enter into Recovery Mode.
3. Enter into Recovery Mode by pressing “Volume Up + Home + Power Button” simultaneously until you see Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 logo. Alternatively you can also enter into Recovery Mode using ROM Manager App.
4. Once you are in Recovery Mode, select Wipe Data and Wipe Cache options and perform the operations.
5. Now select “Install zip from Sd card” and select Cyanogen Mod 11 ROM Package and install it. Now again select “Install zip from sd card” and select Google Apps Package and install the same.
6. Wait for the installation to complete, after it is done, go back and select “reboot system now” and reboot your device. Make a note that first boot may take up to 5-6 minutes so please be patience and let your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to boot successfully.