If you have Nexus 5 and want to root it then you can now root Nexus 5 by following the procedure below. Before proceeding to root Nexus 5 you need to unlock the boot loader, and then only you can root your device. So unlock the boot loader on Nexus 5 by following this guide.
As we are going to root Nexus 5, which sometimes brick your device, so to avoid bricking let’s have a quick look at some of the pre-requisites.
- Make a complete backup of all of your data including SMS, Call logs, Contacts etc., so to avoid any loss of data while rooting.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from the Developer Options menu.
- Charge your device to at least 75%, so as to avoid any damage to your device.
- Your device must be running on Android 4.4 Kitkat.
- Unlock Bootloader on your device, by following the guide here.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible for any damage occurred to your device for not following the steps properly. Proceed at your Own Risk!!!
Procedure to Root Nexus 5 on Android 4.4 Kitkat using CF-Auto Root:
1. First of all setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC. How? See here.
2. Download the CF-Auto Root Package from here. Download and install Nexus 5 USB drivers on your PC.
3. Download Fastboot files from here or mirror.
4. Now put the Fastboot in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory. If there is no directory create one, but if you have followed our guide of Android SDK and Fastboot setup then there should be one.
5. Connect Nexus 5 to PC and power off your Nexus 5.
6. Now enter into Bootloader/Fastboot mode, by pressing Power + Volume Down buttons until you see some text on screen.
7. Copy the files of CF-Auto Root in Fastboot directory. If your PC runs on Windows Operating System then run root-windows.bat file.
8. Linux users use chmod + x root-linux.sh and run root-linux.sh.
9. Mac OS X users, use chmod + root-mac.sh and run root-mac.sh.
10. Now follow the on screen instructions and wait for the process to complete.
After you are done, reboot your phone. Make a note that first boot may take up to 5-6 minutes, so please be patience.