After posting a brief tutorial on how to install TWRP Recovery on Asus ZenFone Selfie ZD551KL, we are back with another quick guide. With this, you can easily root your ZenFone Selfie through recovery. Root access on any Android device unlocks extra features like installation of third-party custom roms, applications and have more customization options. So are you excited to root Asus ZenFone Selfie ZD551KL? Proceed below!
To remind you, ZenFone Selfie is a mid-range device featuring 5.5-inch display, 13MP front and rear camera, 4G LTE, 2GB RAM, 16GB ROM, Android 5 Lollipop with ZenUI and a 3000mAh battery.
- The rooting method is only compatible with ZenFone Selfie ZD551KL. Don’t try on any other ZenFone model.
- Make sure all the important data on your device have a proper backup.
- Enable USB debugging on your ZenFone mobile.
- You need to download necessary root files from below download section.
- Pre-Root System img, recovery.img and boot.img (link). Link consists of two folders- Full and Slim. Full includes all ZenUI applications while Slim doesn’t have ZenUI apps but later can be installed from Play Store.
- Flashtool (link)
Root Asus ZenFone Selfie ZD551KL
Step 1: Download Flashtool zip file from the above link and extract it to a folder.
Step 2: Next download system.img.7z.001 until 007 and extract the same. Transfer the files to the Flashtool folder.
Step 3: Similary download recovery.img and boot.img and copy it to Flashtool folder.
Step 4: Now you need to turn off the ZenFone Selfie mobile and enter into fastboot mode by pressing Power + Volume up key together.
Step 5: Take a USB cable and connect the ZD551KL device with computer.
Step 6: Now go to fastboot folder and open command prompt. (press shift + right click > Open Command Here)
Step 7: Give the following commands one after another followed by ‘Enter’ key.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot oem reboot-recovery
Step 8: Now your device boots into recovery, perform Wipe data/factory reset.
Step 9: There you go! You have just rooted your Asus ZenFone Selfie ZD551KL Android device.
To confirm root access, you need to download and install third-party app called ‘Root Checker’ on your ZenFone.
Once your Zenfone Selfie is rooted with this method, you will no longer receive official Android OTA updates. You need to flash stock firmware in order for regular firmware updates.