HTC has started rolling out the Android 4.4.4 Kitkat Update for the HTC One M8 GPe. This update is available via Over-The-Air (OTA). If you are one who own this device and haven’t received this update yet then you can follow this guide and manually update HTC One M8 GPe to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat firmware using the official OTA package.
Before proceeding to update HTC One M8 GPe to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat firmware, let’s have a quick look at some of the pre requisites to follow to prepare your device to for the update process and also to avoid bricking of your HTC One M8 GPe device.
- Make a complete backup of all of your data to a safe location; so as to avoid any data loss while updating HTC One M8 GPe.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from the path “Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging”. If you can’t find the Developer Options under settings, then you need to enable by tapping on Build number for about 7-10 times, now you will see a message saying that Developer Options is enabled.
- Charge your device to at least 75%, to avoid bricking of your device and is highly recommended.
- Download and install USB Drivers for your device on PC from here.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on your PC from here.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible for any damage occurred to your HTC One M8 GPe for not following the steps properly. So understand the risk involved and proceed further at your own risk.
Update HTC One M8 GPe to Android 4.4.4 Kitkat firmware:
1. Download the Android 4.4.4 Kitkat OTA package from here to PC.
2. Copy or move the downloaded OTA package to the Root of your internal storage.
3. Connect your device to PC.
4. Now open the Fastboot boot folder and open CMD there. How? Open Fastboot folder and press and hold Shift Key and Right Click anywhere inside the folder in the empty space and select open command window here.
5. Now in CMD type: adb reboot recovery.
6. Now a screen with an Android bot and red exclamation mark appears. Press Volume Up and Power button to get into recovery menu.
7. In Recovery Mode highlight apply update from phone storage using the Volume keys and select it using the power button.
8. Now chose the OTA update package zip file which you have copied earlier and press the power button.
9. Now the installation of the OTA package starts. At this point don’t remove battery or turnoff. So hold back and let the process to complete.
10. Once done, select reboot system now.
11. Now your HTC One M8 GPe will reboot into normal mode, once it reboots check the firmware version under “Settings > About”.