Nvidia Shield Tablet received Android 5.0 Lollipop earlier and it came with some bugs which resulted in the sluggish performance of the device and now to cover those bugs Android 5.0.1 is rolled out to Nvidia Shield Tablet and is available via OTA. Some folks over XDA captured these OTA links and shared on the forums and as a result you can install them manually on your Nvidia Shield Tablet. So if you are facing issues updating your tablet via OTA then follow this guide and manually install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on Nvidia Shield Tablet.
- Backup your important data.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer Options.
- Charge your device to at least 75% before proceeding to update process.
- Download and install USB Drivers suitable for your device on PC.
- Setup ADB and Fastboot drivers on PC from here.
- OTA Package [US LTE]
- OTA Pacakge [WiFi]
There are two methods to install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on Nvidia Shield Tablet and we will guide you with them one by one.
Install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on Nvidia Shield Tablet by Sideloading OTA Package:
Step 1: Make sure you have installed USB Drivers and setup ADB and Fastboot drivers.
Step 2: Open the Fastboot folder and press and hold Shift key and right click inside the Fastboot folder at the empty space and choose open command window here. Now a command prompt will open and displays the path to Fastboot folder.
Step 3: Download the OTA package from the above links.
Step 4: Copy the OTA package to the Fastboot folder.
Step 5: Power off Nvidia Shield Tablet and boot your device into Recovery Mode, by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together, this will take you to the Bootloader Mode and from there select Recovery using Volume Keys and select it using Power button.
Step 6: Connect your device to PC.
Step 7: In the Recovery Mode enter the ADB Sideload Menu which can be at different location for different recoveries, so check below:
-> TWRP – Advanced -> ADB Sideload
-> CMW – Install -> Install Zip from Sideload
Step 8: Now enter the following commands in CMD:
-> adb sideload <filename.zip>
Replace the <filename.zip> in the above command with the name of the OTA package.
Step 9: Now the Zip file will be copied to your device and will be installed automatically.
Step 10: Once the file is installed on your device reboot your device.
That’s all now you have successfully installed Android 5.0.1 Lollipop on Nvidia Shield Tablet.
Install Android 5.0.1 Lollipop using Recovery:
1. Download the OTA package to your PC.
2. Copy it to the root of your device’s internal storage.
3. Power off Nvidia Shield Tablet.
4. Enter into Recovery Mode, by pressing Volume Down + Power button, you will be booted into Bootloader Mode. Now from the Bootloader Menu choose Recovery using Volume Keys and select it using power button.
5. Once you are in Recovery Mode, choose “Install Zip from SD card” and choose the OTA package and install it.
6. Once installed, Go Back and select “reboot system now” and boot your device into normal mode.