Google has recently rolled out the Android 4.4.4 Kitkat update to the Nexus devices and this update is believed to bring some major SSL bug fixes and several minor improvements to the Nexus devices. This update is rolled out to cover all the bugs which were found on Android 4.4.3 Kitkat firmware which was rolled out earlier to the Nexus devices.
So if you are one who own a Nexus device and haven’t yet received Android 4.4.4 Kitkat update to your device via OTA then you can flash this official or stock Android 4.4.4 Kitkat factory image on your device and have the bugs on your device get fixed. Before proceeding to flash the Android 4.4.4 Factory image on Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10, let’s have a look at some of the prerequisites that must be followed to avoid any damage to your device.
Following this guide will wipe all of your data, as this is not an OTA package it can’t be sideloaded on your device, instead it should be flashed to your device, which will erase all of your data. If don’t want to lose your data and settings then you can follow the guide on Installing Android 4.4.4 on Nexus 5 via OTA Package here.
- Make a complete backup of all of your data, as we are going to flash the factory image, it will erase all of your data and settings and un-root your device.
- Enable USB Debugging on your device from the path “Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging”.
- Charge your device to at least 75% to avoid bricking of your device.
- Unlock Bootloader on your device.
- Install Fastboot and ADB drivers on your PC.
Disclaimer: We should not be held liable or responsible in any manner for any damage occurred to your device. So understand the risk and proceed further.
- Nexus 4: occum
- Nexus 5: hammerhead
- Nexus 7 (2012): nakasi
- Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2012): nakasig
- Nexus 7 Wi-Fi (2013): razor
- Nexus 10: mantaray
How to Install Android 4.4.4 Kitkat Factory Image on Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10 devices:
1. Once you have downloaded the suitable Factory image for your device on your PC, extract them. Now you will get a folder named with device and build. Eg: occam-ktu84l
2. Power off your Nexus device.
3. Press and Hold the Volume Down + Power buttons, so that you can enter into Fastboot / Bootloader mode.
4. Connect your device to PC.
5. Now open the folder which you got after extracting the factory image. In our example it is occam-ktu84l. Copy all the contents of the Fastboot folder inside this folder.
6. Now press and hold shift key and right key anywhere in the white space inside the folder and select open command window here.
7. Now a command prompt window will open. Type the following commands in it:
fastboot erase boot
fastboot erase recovery
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase system
fastboot erase userdata
Note: The above commands all the user data and system.
8. Now enter the below command to flash the bootloader:
fastboot flash bootloader
9. Reboot the device into Bootloader using the following command:
10. Flash the radio using the following command:
fastboot flash radio <file-name.img>
11. Reboot the device again into Bootloader:
12. Flash the Factory image:
fastboot -w update <file-name.zip>
13. The whole process can take some time so hold on and wait for the process to complete.
14. Once it is done reboot your device, by issuing the following command:
15. Now your device will boot up in normal mode. Make a note that the first boot may take some time so please be patience and don’t panic.