Android One, the project introduced by Google along partnership with Micromax, Karbonn and Spice might have got less response due to increase in mobile competition and other reasons. But there is good news for the users who have purchased this Android One Smartphone. The devices now can be updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop OS and that’s all happening because of popular Cyanogen Mod team. The update is stable and can be easily applied on the device. Though the update is not official, it gives the similar interference of latest operating system. The official update would only be available around mid of December.
So let’s check the pre-requisites required for updating your device and then directly take you to firmware update procedure.
- Before starting the update process, make sure to take the backup of all files, SMS, Call Log and other settings. Use the app “Super Backup” for instant backup of apps, contacts, SMS & Call logs, Bookmarks & Calendars to device SD card.
- Make sure your device has root access, as it is necessary for installation of Android 5.0 Lollipop. Download the Root Checker app from Google Play Store to check whether the device is rooted or not.
- Make sure to enable USB debugging from settings and the charging of the device should be more than 70%.
- Here below are the next steps to be followed for updating Android One Mobile Phones to Lollipop 5.0 OS.
Steps to Update Android One mobiles (Micromax Canvas A1, Karbonn Sparkle V, Spice Dream UNO) to Lollipop 5.0 update:
- Download the Cyanogen Mod Update and Google Apps Package from here to your computer. Now transfer this two files to your Android One device with the help of Standard USB cable.
- Make sure that Phillz recovery mode is installed on your device as it is getting problem with Stock Recovery or the plain CWM recovery.
- Now switch the device off and enter into recovery mode and select the option “install zip from sd card”. You have to select the firmware zip package file copied earlier from computer.
- Continue the above same process for installation of Google Apps Package. Once done with installation process, select option “Go Back” and then “reboot system Now”.
- Please note that this process takes 3-4 minutes to apply the update on your Android One devices (Micromax Canvas A1, Karbonn Sparkle V, Spice Dream UNO).
- Enjoy! Your device has been successfully updated to Android 5.0 Lollipop.