Apple has introduced iPad Air 2, the second generation iPad Air starting at $499. The tablet is just 6.1mm thin and has been unveiled along with the iPad mini 3. The price in India for this new tablets has been announced officially, but there no news regarding availability date. It is expected to launch in this month and also would go on sale to other selective countries this week.
The Apple iPad Air 2 comes with 9.7-inch Retina display including Antireflective coating which reduces reflections up to 56% and has2048×1536 resolution with 264ppi pixel density. The tablet is powered with Apple A8X, a chip that is based on 2nd generation 64-architecture. It is said that the CPU is 12 times faster than the first iPad while the GPU is 180 times. The device has M8 motion coprocessor just similar to the latest iPhone 6 Smartphone.
Having just thickness of 6.1mm makes the Apple iPad Air 2 the thinnest tablet in the world. It runs on iOS 8.1 and also consists of Touch ID fingerprint sensor on the home button. The tablet has 8MP rear facing camera with 1080p video recording and f/2.4 aperture and a 1.2MP HD front-facing camera.
The wireless connectivity features available in the device are Wi‑Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and MIMO & Bluetooth 4.0. It is powered with 27.3-watt-hour battery providing backup up to 10 hours.
“iPad is a magical piece of glass that runs more than 675,000 apps specifically designed for it, and is thin and light enough that you can comfortably hold it all day; the new iPad Air 2 is packed with amazing new innovations, weighs less than a pound, and at just 6.1 mm is the thinnest tablet in the world,” said Philip Schiller, Apple’s Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing.
Apple iPad Air 2 specifications:
- 9.7-inch fully laminated Retina Display with 2048×1536 resolution at 264 ppi, Antireflective coating
- A8 chip with 2nd gen 64-bit architecture and M8 motion coprocessor
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- Wi‑Fi (802.11a/b/g/n/ac); dual channel (2.4GHz and 5GHz) and MIMO, Bluetooth 4.0
- 8-megapixels iSight 1080p camera, f/2.4 aperture, Panorama (up to 43MP)
- 1.2-megapixels HD front-facing camera, f/2.2 aperture
- 16/64/128GB variants
- 6.1 mm thick, weighs 437 g (WiFi) / 444 g (WiFi + Cellular)
- 27.3-watt-hour battery with up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video or listening to music
Price and Availability:
The Apple iPad Air 2 comes in Silver, Gold and Space Gray colour variants. It is priced at $499, $599 and $699 for the 16GB, 64GB and Wifi variants, respectively. The WiFi + LTE variants of Apple iPad Air 2 is priced at $629, $729 and $829 for 16GB, 64GB and 128GB variants, respectively. The device would be pre-ordered starting from October 17th and ships next week.